Intro to 2016 Workshop
- Welcome to CapoCaccia, small-scale, mainly self-funded meeting. Reflects the enthusiasm and commitment that this community has.
- This is the 10th workshop!
- 2007 in Porto Conte ricerche: about 30 people
- 2008 in Hotel !CapoCaccia: about 90
- 2009: about 120
- 2010: almost 140
- 2011: over 200
- 2012: about 155
- 2013: about 140
- 2014: about 120
- 2015: about 100
- 2016: about 90
- It was born out of the US - NSF funded Telluride Neuromorphic Engineering Workshop
- It was supposed to replace it, but Telluride is so successful that US funding agencies did not allow it to be shut-down.
- Came out of a need to shift the focus from purely (basic) reactive sensory-motor neuromorphic systems to neuromorphic "cognitive" systems (we will see what that means in a few minutes).
- Turning point about seven years ago: both CapoCaccia and Telluride are now focusing on cognitive, thoughtful behaving systems.
Workshop general features
- Build systems that take us in the direction of real-time cognitive behaving systems from theoretical neuroscience, neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, etc.
- Community building: get people talking among each other
- Promote collaborations across EU projects and among EU/US groups.
- Engage/involve a large international community
- Align/steer community in the same direction
- General discussion theme, open and frank form discussion
- Keep it as open as possible. We expect to be able to say what we think, share info without being paranoid.
- Treat the results, the experiments in the labs and the open discussions with confidentiality
- Determine domain of interest, synergies
Workshop organizers + Staff
- Rodney and Giacomo
- Dave & Simone
- Dora, Enrico, Fabio
- Lecture room: always busy in the mornings. Free for workgroups in late afternoons and at night.
- Small seminar room: available for small group meetings.
- Meeting lounge upstairs: Always available (day and night).
- Disco: large room downstairs. Fully networked. Main workgroup area.
When you are the last one to walk out of a room at night, please make sure to close all windows and doors. This is to prevent wild animals (cats, wildboars) to come in and do damage.
Workshop PC + printer
- Desktop for workshop use: to check daily schedule. Leave schedule web-page up before leaving, if used for other needs.
- B&W printer available for workshop participants
- Remember to get documents before leaving
- Make sure to arrange payment of room-card (split, keep receipts, split payment method)
- Organized around common interests and participants attending this year.
- The workshop schedule is organized around "problems of the day": in each day, a group of session moderators organizes a discussion around a theme central to the topic of this workshop.
- Moderators are encouraged to coordinate the session the evening before.
- Check web-site. See how-to page to understand how to post announcements.
- Organizational meeting for workgroup schedule, today at 17:00